Thursday, August 15, 2013

Classics Spin, here I come

So I joined the Classics Club earlier this week.  I had to hurry up and do it so I could participate in the Classics Spin next Monday.  I list 20 books from my reading list on my blog, Classics Club picks a random number between 1 and 20 on Monday, I learn what I'm reading next.  Or in this case first, since I haven't yet started any books for the Classics Club.
  1. The Love Department - William Trevor
  2. The Transformations of Lucius - Apuleius
  3. Sentimental Education - Gustave Flaubert
  4. The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
  5. Barnaby Rudge - Charles Dickens
  6. The Stranger - Albert Camus
  7. The Secret Agent - Joseph Conrad
  8. The Wonderful Years - Reiner Kunze
  9. Doctor Zhivago - Boris Pasternak
  10. Candide - Voltaire
  11. I'm Not Stiller - Max Frisch
  12. Therese Raquin - Emile Zola
  13. Eugenie Grandet - Honore de Balzac
  14. The Tartar Steppe - Dino Buzzati
  15. The Late Mattia Pascal - Luigi Pirandello
  16. I nostri antenati - Italo Calvino
  17. The Charterhouse of Parma - Stendhal
  18. Buddenbrooks - Thomas Mann
  19. The Makioka Sisters - Tanizaki Junichiro
  20. The Crime of Father Amaro - Eca de Queiros
Ready to play!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome to the Classics Club. :-)
    Interesting titles on your list, some of which I've never heard of. Hope the spin is good to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Many of these titles are recommended in an older book of about reading the classics. I've been curious about them for years and now I'm finally giving myself that oush to actually explore some.

      Delete
  2. A very eclectic list -- quite a few I've never heard of! I read Barnaby Rudge last year and I was surprised at how much I like it -- it's one of those Dickens that hardly anyone ever reads. And I also read The Makioka Sisters and loved it. Candide and The Strange are also very good. Sentimental Education is on my Spin list as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I'm glad to hear you liked Barnaby Rudge and The Makioka Sisters. I have really enjoyed the better known Dickens, David Copperfield and Bleak House in particular, and thought it was time to branch out!

      Delete